Estradiol Oopsies

Aww man.

Yesterday, I performed my mock assay and I messed up my estradiol saliva assay.

Here’s a list of all the things I did wrong πŸ˜­πŸ˜…

  1. Had too many air bubbles in my pipette
  2. I pipetted a saliva sample into a well that was supposed to be empty
  3. I didn’t fill up my estradiol standards properly (I didn’t put enough assay dilute)
  4. I didn’t place my plate in the plate wash securely

Ahhhh and then my R^2 value came out to like 0.842, but when “corrected,” it came out to like 0.869 (you’re supposed to have an R^2 value of 1 or 0.999).

So yea, it went pretty poorly. But I appreciate that Scott Le (who was supervising me) was super patient with me, and took the time to explain the process step by step.

Oh also, shoutout to Lotte van Dammen as well! She was the one who got me started with the wet lab.

Overall, it was a good learning experience. For the next assay, I’ll re-read the protocols for assaying different biomarkers and make sure I understand them better.

It can only get better from here!!!

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s